Where We Perform
East Kilbride Rep Theatre Club perform in The Village Theatre in the town's Maxwell Drive.
The Village Theatre is a traditional 'proscenium arch' theatre with seating for up to 318 people.
The theatre is equipped with a 'fly-tower' (for raising and lowering scenery), an orchestra pit and extensive lighting and sound equipment. Backstage there are 6 dressing rooms over 2 floors with toilet and shower facilities on both floors.
During 1974/75 the Town Council decided to convert the old Public Hall, originally built in 1883, into an intimate, modern designed theatre. The brief for the new theatre called for the structure of the Public Hall to be retained and this determined the size and capacity of the auditorium. The remaining structure was built around the hall and, as a result, the roof of the old Public Hall is visible from Maxwell Drive.
A competition was held to find a suitable name for the venue and 'The Village Theatre' was selected from nearly a hundred entries. The first production staged in the new theatre was EK Rep's pantomime Sleeping Beauty in December 1977. The theatre was officially opened in 1978 by Scottish actor Andrew Cruickshank, well known for his role as Dr Cameron in the BBC Television series Dr Finlay's Casebook.
The Village Theatre is owned by South Lanarkshire Council and run by South Lanarkshire Leisure and Culture Limited.
East Kilbride Village Theatre
East Kilbride, G74 4HG
Telephone/Minicom: (01355) 248669
Fax: (01355) 248677