Conditions of Entry (2014)
1. An entry fee of £10 shall be paid for each entry to the Festival (non-returnable).
2. The last date for submission of entry forms etc will be Friday 4th April 2014.
3. Where a team cancels a play within 30 days there may be a £50 penalty. If there are more entries than can be staged clubs may be asked to withdraw (fees refunded) and where a club submits more than one entry they must give order of preference.
4. The entrant is responsible for payment of Author’s Royalty and these MUST be shown to the Festival Organiser at least one week prior to performance.
5. Entries will be a One Act Play or an extract from a longer play and must be not less than 20 minutes and no more than 50 minutes (points will be deducted if clubs go over the times). Separate rules apply for the youth entries (see point 19.b below). Time starts from the moment the curtain starts to open or when the audiences attention is drawn to the stage (open set).
6. No player may appear for more than one group.
7. Stage drapes (black) are in situ. Otherwise clubs must bring their own sets. Certain flats may be made available by arrangement. Backcloth hung from c/w20, about 20ft back from front tab.
8. Fire regulations demand that all materials used must be flame retarding. Naked lights are forbidden.
9. The organisers will appoint a Festival Stage Manager and time-keeper whose decision on all production matters shall be final and binding on all teams.
10. Theatre technical staff control the lighting switchboard and sound equipment and attend to lighting under the instructions of the Clubs producer. Clubs should provide their own sound operator – EK Rep may be able to assist if there is a problem. Responsibility for providing information to enable lighting to be set and coloured in advance rests with each producer. Theatre staff MUST be contacted at least 14 days prior to the performance and each team is responsible for ensuring that tabs are operated at the correct times and that scenery is set and struck within the time allowed.
11. Each team will be allowed 10 minutes for setting and 5 minutes for striking as well as the performance time. The Adjudicator will penalise teams who exceed these times.
12. A maximum technical rehearsal time of 30 minutes will be allowed and it is essential that clubs adhere to this time limit. Producers should prioritise their requirements in order of importance to ensure that the more important of these are completed within the time limit.
13. The Festival organisers will appoint an Adjudicator and in all matters within his/her competence their decision will be final.
14. Trophies will be awarded for: BEST PLAY, RUNNER UP, 2ND RUNNER UP, BEST ACTOR, BEST ACTRESS, BEST STAGING, BEST YOUTH PLAY.
15. No one shall make use of any equipment of a technical nature, whether it is sound, lighting or stage equipment, without prior consent of the Theatre Technician. Any person using such equipment shall comply with the instructions given and any clubs using any form of pyrotechnics (Flash boxes) must contact Theatre technical staff at least 14 days in advance.
16. Properties used in the plays must be removed on the performance night unless by prior arrangement with Theatre staff.
17. The organisers accept no responsibility for the safety of any articles brought to the Village Theatre and any club or members wishing insurance must make their own arrangements.
18. All members of a participating club must have either a valid ticket for audience attendance or a backstage pass.
NOTE – ACCESS TO BACKSTAGE WILL ONLY BE ALLOWED TO THOSE WITH BACKSTAGE PASSES.
19. Festival entry is open to:
a. adult groups whose minimum age is 16 and should involve a minimum of two actors.
b. Youth groups whose minimum age is 12 and maximum age is 18, and involving a minimum of two actors. The play must be no more than 30 minutes in length and contain age-appropriate material.
THE FINAL DECISION ON ALL MATTERS PERTAINING TO THE ONE ACT FESTIVAL RESTS WITH THE BOARD OF MANAGEMENT OF EK REP
CONTACTS: Festival Organiser:
Theatre Technician: Alan Henderson 01355 268365